Saturday, August 26, 2006

mic check, one two

It's common sense that first impressions are important - our initial experiences shape our future handlings. This is something I've been thinking quite a bit about lately, particularly in relation to music - nearly everyone's taste is constantly evolving and growing, but where did that base, that foundation come from? It's a question that's difficult to answer. I do know that what I live for - musically, at least - is that sort of epiphany you have every once in a while when you're digging and discovering. It might be something as simple as finding a great riff or hook. It might be something as momentous as realizing there's a whole new genre of music out there that you've never listened to before. One of the biggest ones for me, however, was the first show I ever saw live. The band was Luna.

Luna is a love-child of the Velvet Underground; it's obvious that frontman Dean Wareham and company are enamored of the slowly propulsive guitar drones, looping bass riffs, and straightforward drums that the VU made so perfectly. I meant that "love-child" part literally, though; where Lou Reed was the paragon of NY hipster cool, Wareham instead chooses whimsy and an affected sleepy innocence.

Luna - Lovedust

This song, more than any other, sums up Luna for me. It's perfect for those times when the air seems to be filled with a sort of drugged elation. The flourishes are what make the song - the lazy, soaring guitars; the bells and castanets at 3:12.
This is a song for watching the sunset go down with someone you love. It is also, depending on how you look at it, a song for a 13-year old boy who is discovering music all over again.

Hi. Welcome to Kind of Like Floating. My name is Sam; I love pop music.

5 comments:

fascistsoundwaves said...

Sam! Really great track mate. I get kind of a Neil Young vibe in there, along with VU. It must have been a wonderful show (how was Son Volt, by the way?).

I can recall my first live show. Ted Leo and the Pharmacists out promoting Hearts of Oak at The Graceland haha. What I time. The venue isn't even called Graceland anymore. How I miss the cigarette smoke. Thanks for your post!

Post-Paint Boy said...

Hey man, love the track you posted. I love Luna, and was wondering what cd that track was from. I have Penthouse and Bewitched, which are brilliant though Penthouse is my personal favorite. Anyway, if you don't have Penthouse you should check it out-and if you do, listen to the song Rhythm King.

I must say though, my first show was Sonic Youth when i was about 10 (w/ my dad) and they were in their whole 'experimental' stage, and...well...to say the least I wasn't very into it. But my second show when i was a little more...aware of the whole music thing was the Long Winters and it really stuck with me, so you may have something there.

Thanx for the kickass post
-Colin

Indigobusiness said...

Good blog, Sam.

Keep it up.

floating Sam said...

Sean - Son Volt was pretty great! I'll see you soon enough at Bumbershoot, though; let's talk then.

Colin - That is the first track off of Romantica, which is a solid album, but Penthouse is definitely their best - I agree.

and thanks, Indigo, whoever you are!

fascistsoundwaves said...

Man, Mr. Floating Samwise, what a celeb!