Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Valentines Day/Back to Basics

More often than I'd like to admit, I find myself getting into the mindset of "well this is mainstream, so it can't possibly be good." But this was not the case with Christina Aguilera's "Back to Basics". After listening to it all all the way through, I could no longer ignore how good it was.



Aguilera's concept album looks back to jazz, horns, classic blues voices, while keeping the audience at hand enthralled with catchy and modern lyrics, fused with the not so hidden- coy naughtiness of "Still Dirrty" and "Candyman".

One song in particular, "Save Me from Myself" seems particularly pertinent to the day at hand, Valentines Day. Aguilera's vulnerable ballad is about how love is not just black and white- it requires patience and listening. Sometimes you need someone to lean on to make yourself a better person. I'm not going to pretend like I know what that feeling is, at least romantically, but it seems like it might be nice. Or perhaps not. Nevertheless, "Save Me From Myself" is really beautiful and you should give it a listen.

Save Me From Myself- Christina Aguilera

No comments: